Use and Saving of Home Energy
The major portion of your electricity is utilized by space heating, which is exactly about 47%. It is approximately half of the cost of your monthly electricity bill. The remaining one is shared lighting and appliance (24%), water heating (17%), air conditioning (6%) and refrigeration (5%). Now, you can easily decide when you are going to start saving energy by lowering its consumption. You can take a start from space heating because it consumes the major part of electricity.
Walls and ceiling insulation in your homes will surely help you to save electricity up to 30% on heating cost which equates to 15% of reduction in total cost of electric bill. Although, you need to spend money on insulating materials for different parts of home, yet it will be quite significant in coming days. You can save approximately $150 every year just by the insulation of your home.
If you are living in cold environment then it is recommended to go for super insulation of your home. You can also lower your electric bills by bringing few alterations around your house. If living in warm climate then shade of a deciduous tree will be helpful in cooling down the surrounding area of your house. This results in decreased utilization of air conditioner, which ultimately reduces the cost of your electric bill.
Proper painting of walls and roofs will further help you in extra savings on electric bills. You can also cover your windows with synthetic/plastic coatings to provide additional insulation. Seal the leaks all around your house and make it sure that the heat will not go outside. Leaks may come from doors, joints, windows and sills etc.
The habitual maintenance examination on furnace will make it operating proficiently. In this way the space heat equates the electricity consumed. Use of clean air-filter will again ensure that you are getting good air recycling and clean air as well. Leaking ducts can cause more power consumption because your heating system has to work 30% more than normal. This will result in more energy loss and hence, increase in your electric bill.
Approximately quarter of the bills goes to the lighting and other electric appliances. So, you should also try to control the useless consumption of lights and electronic appliances. Always, turn off all the extra lights, stereo and television when not in use. Also, turn the lights off before leaving the room even for few minutes.
Thermostat of the refrigerator should be reduced as it utilizes about 20% of the total household electric use. You can save about 90% of power consumption by washing the clothes with cold water instead of hot water. Germs on the clothes are eradicated through detergents rather than hot water. Also, try to make less use of washing machines as much as possible.
Temperature reduction of the water heater also helps in cutting down the cost of your electric bill. Try to employ water heater jacket, which is economical and will surely yield to larger electric bill savings.
Always seek for energy efficient appliances. For instance, compact energy bulbs are more power efficient than ordinary incandescent bulbs.
Energy Consumption in Houses
The situation is alarming if your electric bills are getting higher after every. This may be due to additional or worthless usage of electric appliances. Generally, an American family would consume about $1500-$2000 on power bills.
If your bill in not in between these figures then you will be considered as a regular householder, which utilizes electricity unnecessarily. The reason is that are not required to spend to the extent of $2000 a year for energy. A regular house that spends this much amount often misuse the power and ultimately their money. As the use of electricity increases, the bill cost will surely gone higher.
There are five significant and basic means of cutting down the energy consumption in your houses.
1. Controlling the thermostat will help you in saving energy. Eventually, reduction of the thermostat aids you inn saving a lot of money. You can save about 5% of electric bill on every 1°C. Therefore, always maintain your thermostat at lower temperatures. You can keep it lower during sleeping times or when you are out of home to save more and more money. 68 °F is the best advised temperature for thermostats during winter season.
2. Water heaters also make use of a large amount of energy. Thus, try to limit its use especially when alternatives are available. It is the second largest power consumer after cooling/heating system of any house. Do not use hot water to wash your clothes because the job of germs eradication can be best done by detergents. With this precautionary measure you can save up to 90% of energy.
3. Small appliances like chargers of cell phones and iPods also adds to your energy bills. The 24/7 hour plugged items can cost bonus digits on your energy bill. Similarly, night-lights if switched on all the day and night will add to the power cost. Digital clocks that are plugged continuously and computer monitors kept on uselessly consumes a lot of energy. This again results in high electric bills. People usually think that these items do not contribute but actually they can add up to 5% on bills.
4. Removing leaks around your house will also help in controlling energy lost and hence higher bills. These leaks have plenty of contribution in high cost of power bills. These are the possible ways for air to go in and out of the house. This ultimately increases the workload heating/cooling system of house. Air moves in relation to air pressure as well as temperature. Generally, the temperature of inner side of homes differs from the outside temperature. This is why the air can easily pass through these leaks. Accordingly, make it certain that leaks are sealed properly. Thus, less work is done by cooling and heating system. In due course, it cuts down your house electric bill.
5. Another way of saving money at energy bills is making use of of energy efficient materials around your home and items inside it. These commercially accessible items significantly add to cut down the home energy bills. For instance, energy efficient windows are the best option in this regard. These windows deflect the external temperature from entering into your house.